Instagram Stories have been around for a while now. Are they worth spending the extra time on? Will they drive traffic to your shop? When stories were first introduced, Instagram took some flack as a copycat of Snapchat. Copycat or not it’s hard to deny that Instagram Stories have grown tremendously since their inception.
Since adding Stories to Instagram, users are on the platform longer and more frequently
- Those under the age of 25 spend more than 32 minutes/day on IG
- Those over the age of 25 spend more than 24 minutes a day
- Both groups spend 15-21 of those minutes on STORIES!
So what's a Story anyhow?
Instagram Stories are photos and videos that vanish after 24 hours. They don’t live in the typical feed and, instead, are found at the very top of a users Instagram screen.
Pictures move in a carousel, each with a duration of 5 seconds while videos can last anywhere between 1 and 15 seconds. Instagram also has a “Live” feature built into stories. We’ll talk about this another day, though.
Stories are a great feature for brands to gain more exposure, give a glimpse of their shop behind the scenes, and share quick and fun content to their following. Better yet, by using stories, brands can avoid using yet another platform (such as Snapchat). Even more, Stories give brands a place to create more content without bombarding their follower’s feeds and are way more discoverable through Instagram search than are standard posts.
5 Steps to an Instagram Story:
- Get to the right place. :)
- Go to your profile page and click on your shop icon or go to your main feed and click on the camera icon on the top left corner.
- Choose your format: Type, Live, Normal, Boomerang, Superzoom, Rewind, Hands-Free, and Stop Motion. Be on the lookout for more, too. Instagram is constantly adding fun new ways to use stories!
- Want to use existing media from your camera roll for your story? Simply swipe up and your camera roll will appear.
- Upload or record great content
- A product shot, selfie, boomerang of you working behind the scenes--make it fun!
- Add filters, text, stickers, and more.
- Simply choose from the tools at the top right of your screen.
- Click the "+" button to finish your Story!
Want FREE access to the entire Course: Instagram Stories: Part 1 with step by step tutorials PLUS membership to our private Facebook Group, live Q&A’s with Kendahl (founder of HelloLoveHandmade and LittleAmpersandCo), an in-depth resource section, and more. Oh, and did we mention you get all past and present mini-courses as well?
*After 30 days, pay just $4.99/month. Cancel anytime.